Introduction to West Nile Virus
West Nile is a serious, sometimes fatal, virus that has been found in Larimer County consistently over the past decade. The virus is transmitted by mosquitoes who bite infected birds and then spread that infection to humans and other animals.
There are no vaccines or treatments for the virus, so the best way to ensure safety is to prevent yourself from being bitten by mosquitoes.
If everyone takes preventative measures, the need for activating our control policies will be reduced.
The basics of West Nile prevention include:
- Drain or dump standing water
- Dress appropriately (long, loose-fitting clothing)
- Defend yourself with insect repellant
- Be aware at dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are most active
Other preventative measures:
- Stay clear of long grasses, wetlands, shrubs and grassy shores
- Repair window and door screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering your home
- Trim bushes away from the ground to allow for air flow and reduction of dampness
- Leave dead birds where you find them and call 1.877.462.2911
To monitor the mosquito population, the Town of Berthoud collects trap data. You can find these records below:
Mosquito Control Safety
The Town of Berthoud is very concerned about protecting its residents from potential infection and also sensitive to the worries some may have regarding mosquito control. The issues of West Nile virus prevention and an emergency mosquito control policy are often controversial.
Berthoud has partnerships with Colorado State University, the Larimer County Department of Health, and Vector Disease Control International to address the problems of both the West Nile Virus and emergency mosquito control measures.
Helpful links to navigate this page:
- American Mosquito Control Association: http://www.mosquito.org/mosquito-borne-diseases#WNV
- Centers for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/westnile/index.html
- State of Colorado: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/west-nile-virus
- Larimer County: http://www.larimer.org/health/cd/westnile-about.cfm
- Colorado State University: http://extension.colostate.edu/mosquito-management/
- Town of Berthoud:
- Fight the Bite: http://www.fightthebitecolorado.com/index.htm
- Vector Disease Control: http://www.vdci.net/
- Berthoud Mosquito Test Information from 2017 and August 2017 spray information