Pedestrian Safety Tips
It takes the entire community to keep Berthoud streets safe. Follow these simple tips to help make our roads safer for everyone.
- Make sure you are visible to drivers.
- Stand clear of bushes, hedges and parked cars if you are trying to cross the road.
- Always obey traffic signals; don’t cross until you have the signal.
- Always look before you cross the road, even if you do have the signal to do so.
- If you are a pedestrian, make sure all cars have seen you and stopped before you enter a crosswalk. Don’t assume a car will stop.
- If possible, only cross streets at marked crosswalks and intersections.
- If you are a driver, stop when the flashing signal has been activated and wait to go until the pedestrians have safely crossed the road.
- Watch for pedestrians at all times and always yield to pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Don’t exceed speed limits and keep your eyes open for pedestrians.
- Avoid aggressive behavior
- Minimize cell phone use. There’s no safe level of taking your eyes off the road.