The Forestry Department is in place to provide a safe, aesthetic, and sustainable urban forest. We are responsible for the maintenance of trees within our parks, natural areas, cemetery, and town-owned facilities. We are also responsible for the upkeep of the town tree inventory and development of urban forest management plans to promote the most overall diverse and healthy urban forest.
Please note that per Municipal Code Section 30-2-112(B)(5) it is the responsibility of the adjacent property owner for the maintenance of trees within the public rights-of-way (“tree lawns”), and the Town has the authority to conduct code enforcement for hazardous trees.
- EAB Detected in Larimer County - Oct 2019 Press Release
- 2020 Berthoud Arbor Day Poster Contest
- Tree Advisory Committee
- Berthoud Recommended Trees
- EAB Information
- Licensed Tree Service
Emerald Ash Borer Management and Response Plan
This EAB Management and Response Plan is intended to provide best management practices for Town of Berthoud Staff as well as residents within the Town to reference as needed. Along with providing information regarding identification and management options, this document is also intended to educate the public about EAB. This integrated plan is ongoing and subject to change as new infestations are discovered, new practices are developed, and new literature/resources are published. As Town Staff and the Tree Advisory Committee develop greater understandings of current issues and future proposals, alterations to this document will be updated and/or revised, ultimately modifying and improving the overall health, diversity, and longevity of Berthoud’s urban forest.
Ash Tree Treatment Program
For the 2020 Ash Tree Treatment Program, the Town will treat all eligible ash trees, within the public rights-of-way, throughout Berthoud Town limits.
Eligible ash trees will be determined at the Town Forester’s discretion based on the following criteria:
- Is an ash within the genus Fraxinus
- Is located within the public rights-of-way (“tree lawn”) and in an appropriate planting location
- Possess a diameter at breast height (DBH) of 12-inches or greater
- Is in good condition (no more than 40% canopy die-back) and possess adequate structure and development
- Hasn’t been previously treated (via trunk injection) within the past two years
Street Tree Replacement Program
The Town of Berthoud Street Tree Replacement Program is intended to assist Berthoud property owners in replacing trees that have been removed within street rights-of-way (“tree lawns”). Tree lawns are the portion of property located between the street curb and the sidewalk, and in accordance to Municipal Code Section 30-2-112(B)(5) it is the abutting property owner’s responsibility for the maintenance of trees located in the right-of-way. Property owners, or the owner’s designee, may qualify and apply for this program which is intended only for trees located in tree lawns; trees that reside on private property do not qualify. Replacement trees and tree installation will be provided by the Forestry Department at no cost to the property owner. After tree installment, property owners become fully responsible for the maintenance and care of the tree(s). This program is a first come, first serve basis depending on Town staff and Town funding.
The Town’s street and public area tree inventory is now online for public resources! Simply click the link below and find Town of Berthoud on the right side of the page under Organizations. Here, you can click on the plotted points and it will tell you species, diameter at breast height (DBH), benefits provided, and provide a street view. Please note that the inventory is in working progress; some new development plantings may not be added and some species and DBH may not be exact. If you notice a different tree present (or absent) in the street right-of-way adjacent to your property, please notify the Forestry Department for staff to make updates!
Street Tree Work Permit
At the January 22, 2019 Town Council Meeting, the Town Board of Trustees approved the adoption of a Street Tree Work Permit and development of Town Ordinance 1266. With this update, a permit must be acquired and approved by Town Staff prior to conducting any tree work (e.g., pruning, removal, treatment, etc.) on trees located within street rights-of-way (“tree lawns”). Tree lawns are the portion of property located between the street curb and the sidewalk, and in accordance to Municipal Code Section 30-2-112(B)(5) it is the abutting property owner’s responsibility for the maintenance of trees located in the right-of-way. Please note, failure to meet Town policy may result in a fine of $2,500 in accordance to Town Ordinance 1266.
Important Tree Information for Berthoud Property Owners:
- Per Town Code section 30-2-112(B)(5) it is the responsibility of the adjacent property owner for maintaining, removing and/or replacing trees located within street rights-of-way (tree lawns)
- A Street Tree Work Permit must be acquired and approved by Town Staff prior to conducting any tree work (e.g., pruning, removal, treatment, etc.) on trees located within street rights-of-way
- Tree work must (by ordinance) be done by a licensed tree contractor or by the property owner
- All stumps on public right-of-way (by ordinance) must be removed to at least 6" below grade
- Tree limbs should hang no lower than 14 feet over streets and 8 feet over sidewalks
- Shrubs and hedges on street corners must be maintained less than 30" in height for a minimum of 25 feet both ways from the corner
Locations to dump tree limbs:
- City of Loveland Recycle Center
400 N. Wilson Ave.
Loveland, CO 80537
Open Tuesday - Sunday, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Larimer County Landfill
5887 S. Taft Hill Road
Open Monday - Saturday, 8 am to 4:30 pm.
Uncovered loads are charged double
The Town of Berthoud does not pick up tree limbs from private property.
Forestry Department Contact Information
- Department Contact: Josh Embrey, Town Forester
- Department physical address:
Parks & Recreation
100 10th St.
Berthoud CO, 80513
- Telephone: 970-532-1600
- Fax: 970-532-601
- E-mail: email@example.com