The Forestry Division is in place to serve the residents of Berthoud to provide a safe and beautiful urban forest. We are responsible for planning and maintenance of trees in parks, trails, natural areas, and town-owned facilities. We are also responsible for code enforcement of trees in the public right-of-way. We would like to remind residents that maintenance and replacement of trees in the right-of-way is the responsibility of the adjacent homeowner.
The Town’s street and public area tree inventory is now online for public resources! Simply click the link below and find Town of Berthoud on the right side of the page under Organizations. Here, you can click on the plotted points and it will tell you species, diameter at breast height (DBH), benefits provided, and provide a street view. Please note that the inventory is in working progress; some new development plantings may not be added and some species and DBH may not be exact. If you notice a different tree present (or absent) in the street right-of-way adjacent to your property, please notify the Forestry Department for staff to make updates!
EAB 2018 Cost Share Pilot Program Application:
Important Tree Information for Berthoud Property Owners:
- Tree work must (by ordinance) be done by a licensed tree contractor or by the property owner.
- Elm wood, whether diseased or not, cannot be kept for fuel wood (or anything else) unless the bark has been removed.
- Elm stumps on private property are to be ground out or debarked to ground line.
- Any stumps on public right-of-way (by ordinance) must be removed to 6" below grade.
- Tree limbs should hang no lower than 14 feet over streets and 8 feet over sidewalks.
- Trees, shrubs, hedges, and other plants must be maintained behind inside edges of sidewalks vertically to a minimum of 8 feet.
- Shrubs and hedges on street corners must be maintained less than 30" in height for a minimum of 25 feet both ways from the corner.
Locations to dump tree limbs:
- City of Loveland Recycle Center
400 N. Wilson Ave.
Loveland, CO 80537
(970) 962 - 2529
Open Tuesday - Sunday, 7:30am to 4:30pm.
- Larimer County Landfill
5887 S. Taft Hill Road
(970) 498 - 5770.
Open Monday - Saturday, 8am to 4:30pm.
Uncovered loads are charged double.
The Town of Berthoud does not pick up tree limbs from private property.
Forestry Division Contact Information
- Division Contact: Josh Embrey, Town Forester
- Division physical address:
Parks & Recreation
100 10th St.
Berthoud CO, 80513
- Telephone: 970-532-1600
- Fax: 970-532-1601
- Email: email@example.com