Regular April 7, 2020 Municipal Election
On April 7, 2020 the Town of Berthoud will be conducting an election for Town Trustee Offices and Mayor.
Please click here to for a list of elected officials and their terms of office. The Mayor and four Trustee seats will be decided at the upcoming April 2020 Election. Three of the Trustee seats will be for a 4-year term and one seat will be for a 2-year term. The Mayor's seat will be for a 4-year term.
Please click here look up and verify your voter registration information.
Please click here to download an Absentee Ballot Application to receive your ballot at an address other than the address on your voter registration. Please return your completed application as soon as possible to ensure you receive your ballot with enough time to mail it back and for it to be received by 7:00 P.M. on Election Day. All active voters will receive a ballot by mail at the mailing address on your voter registration. This form should only be used if you will temporarily be receiving mail at an address other than what is on your voter registration.
Qualifications to run for Elected Office:
- Registered elector 18 years of age or older.
- Resident of the Town of Berthoud for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the election.
- You cannot be a candidate for two offices at the same time.
A few helpful facts about the upcoming election:
- Nomination Petitions will be available and may be circulated January 7, 2020 - January 27, 2020.
- Ballots for all active registered voters will be mailed March 16, 2020 – March 23, 2020.
- All active registered voters will receive a ballot by mail.
- All ballots must be returned to Town Hall no later than 7:00 P.M. on April 7, 2020
- You can update your voter registration at www.govotecolorado.com
Why are there four candidates running for four Trustee Seats?:
With the January 29th resignation of Trustee Pete Tomassi and the withdraw from nomination filed by Trustee Brian Laak, there have been several changes to the upcoming April 2020 Election. A resignation is when an elected official resigns from office prior to the expiration of his or her term. To withdraw from nomination is when a candidate chooses not to proceed with running for an elected office in an election.
The vacancy created by Mr. Tomassi’s resignation will need to be filled by appointment within 60 days of the vacancy occurring. The vacancy occurred 69 days before the election, so it would need to be filled by appointment before the election to be in accordance with state law. The law only allows an appointment to have a duration up to the next regular election. Being that the next regular election is in April, an appointment cannot extend beyond that, and the voters will decide who is elected to the additional available seat.
On the April 7, 2020 Ballot there will be four candidates running for four Trustee seats. Three of the available seats are for a term of 4-years and one of the seats is a 2-year term.
The Municipal Election Code requires that the candidates receiving the highest number of votes are elected to the 4 year terms. And, it also requires that candidates receiving lower vote counts are elected to terms that are less than four years (if there are shorter terms to be filled at the election). Normally all of the terms for Trustee would be 4 years; however, when a vacancy occurs, the term must be shortened to maintain the staggering of the terms.
The following candidates will be on the April 7, 2020 Ballot:
Mayor - 4-Year Term
- Will Karspeck
Trustee - 4-Year Term (Four Seats - Three 4-Year terms and one 2-Year term.)
- May Soricelli
- Mike Grace
- Lonnie Stevens
- Jeff Hindman
Campaign Finance Forms:
Campaign Finance Filing Deadlines:
All campaign finance filings are to be filed with the Town Clerk.
- First Deadline: March 17, 2020
- Second Deadline: April 3, 2020
- Final Deadline: May 7, 2020
- Annual reports must be filed if the committee does not expend all funds received.
- Late Fees will be imposed if filings are received after any due date.
Please note that this information is preliminary and is subject to revisions. For more information, please contact the Town Clerk:
Berthoud Town Clerk
807 Mountain Avenue
PO Box 1229
Berthoud, Colorado 80513