Streets & Drainage

The Public Works Streets & Drainage Department maintains Berthoud's public streets and storm water drainage system and includes Right-of-way Permits processed by the Water Department.  

Department responsibilities include:

  • Repair and maintenance of streets
  • Repair and maintenance of curbs, gutters, and sidewalks
  • Repair and maintenance of traffic signs, and pavement markings
  • Repair and maintenance of town-owned street lighting
  • Snow plowing and ice removal
  • Street sweeping
  • Storm drainage maintenance to reduce pollution reaching streams and waterways
  • Right-of-way Permit and inspections
  • Special event support

5-Year Road

Repair Plan

This plan outlines major road improvements for years 2022-2026

5-Year Sidewalk Repair Plan

This plan outlines sidewalk repair routes scheduled for years 2023-2027

Where are the 2023 repairs?

View the 2023 Resident Notice which includes project information, dates, and locations.  

  1. Right-of-Way Permit

Right-of-way Permit 

The Town of Berthoud regulates the installation of public utilities within the Town's public right-of-way through a permitting process. Public right-of-way means a strip of land acquired by reservation, dedication, forced dedication, prescription, or condemnation and intended to be occupied by a road, crosswalk, bike path, alley way, railroad, electric transmission lines, oil or gas pipeline, waterline, sanitary storm sewer, and other similar uses; generally, the right of one to pass over the property of another. Right-of-way (ROW) Permits are required prior to any work activities or temporary obstructions, including temporary storage containers or pods, within the public right-of-way and/or Town utility easements or that will directly affect the traveling public.

Prior to submitting the ROW Permit

1.    Obtain an approved Certificate of Insurance, or bond (if required), equal to the value of the work done and submit with permit.

2.    Any work impacting a state highway and or county road within the Town limits requires a Colorado Department of Highways (CDOT) Special Use Utility Permit. The Town will not issue a ROW Permit without this documentation.

3.    Applicant is responsible for scheduling utility locates before digging / excavation.

4.    Provide construction methods, equipment and operational procedures to obtain the Town’s concurrence in the ROW Permit application and Traffic Control Plan, and if required prepare construction plans and or a scope of work letter.

Staff are available to issue permits Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Questions? Call 970-344-5816 or Email Right-of-way.

ROW Permit Application

In accordance with the Town's permitting requirements, all work done on public right-of-way areas (including utility easements) or that will impact the traveling public requires a ROW Permit, Traffic Control Plan(s), Description of Work, and Certificate of Insurance.

3 Easy Steps! The application must be fillable at all times. No need to print & scan, nor open the application in a PDF program. 

1) Click to open the fillable Right-of-Way Permit Application & Provisions (PDF) form and Edit directly online. 

2) After you completed the form, download to save and create a new file name (ex. ROWPermit-123 Main St-Company Name). 

3) Send the new file to Email Right-of-way with the following attachments;

    Include Traffic Control Plan(s) for work that impedes public utility easements and right-of-way areas, the normal flow of vehicular and bicycle traffic and or disrupts pedestrian walkways, and if necessary, developed by a certified traffic control company.

    Include an approved Certificate of Insurance (COI) with the Town of Berthoud listed as the Holder and "additional insured" , or bond (if required), equal to the value of the work done.

    Include a detailed Description of Work (construction methods, equipment and operational procedures) in the permit. Depending on the project, a Scope of Work letter and/or Construction Plans may be required.

    Include an approved Colorado Department of Highways (CDOT) Special Use Utility Permit , and other regulatory applications and or permits as required, when a project impacts state highways, county roads, and municipal streets.

How long does it take?

    Once all required documents are received, the Town requires a 10-work day notice for approval of the permit. 

    ROW Permits are then issued after the application fee is paid in full upon receiving an invoice by email with payment instructions.

Once I have the permit, is there anything else?

Below you will find information for Construction Hours and Right-of-Way Final Inspection contact information.

Construction Hours:

Monday-Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Sunday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

To Schedule Right-of-Way Final Inspections:

Streets Department (for Road Cuts or Sidewalk related work): (970) 532-2210

Water Department (for Water/Sewer related work): (303) 505-2138

  1. Current roadwork / Closures
  1. Street sweeping Schedule
  1. Storm Water DRAINAGE 
  1. Snow & Ice Removal
  1. Roadway Drainage Systems